Rattan and bamboo are natural materials to make household furniture. This article is about rattan vs bamboo. Which one is better for your home furniture, rattan or bamboo? Before judging that one is better than the other, let’s see the strengths and weaknesses of each.
The strengths of rattan
- Compared to bamboo furniture, the price of rattan furniture is a bit more expensive. However, it gives a more natural pastel color so that it is easier to combine it with any tonnes of other furniture at home.
- Rattan furniture displays a unique impression that can be seen from the woven technique. For craftsmen, the process of making handicrafts from rattan is easier than crafts made from wood. It is easier for them to create designs from modern to traditional tones.
- The weight of tools and furniture made of rattan is also lighter than wood, but not as light as bamboo. However, it’s more durable than bamboo.
The weaknesses of rattan
- Just like wood and bamboo, rattan is quite susceptible to damage by insects and rodents. Certain treatments are needed so that your furniture is protected from these animals.
- Rattan is a material that is easily damaged when continuously exposed to sunlight and rain. Therefore, never place rattan furniture outdoors.
- Rattan needs a fairly complicated treatment. Once a year, you need to re-polish the surface to maintain its beauty and shine.
The strengths of bamboo
- Just like rattan, the price is more economical and environmentally friendly than wooden furniture. Bamboo can grow from 3 to 5 years while wood takes up to 40 years before it is ready for use.
- Compared to wood and rattan, bamboo is easier to cut and shape because it is lighter and more elastic. So, the craftsmen do not feel too complicated to weave and bend bamboo.
- Bamboo has more natural motifs than rattan because it has a variety of characteristics, for example, Chinese dwarf, slender weaver, Timor black, giant bamboo, and so on.
The weaknesses of bamboo
- Bamboo is difficult to combine with other materials. Usually, bamboo can only be combined with stakes or fibers so that the connection strength is relatively low.
- Compared to rattan, bamboo is less fire-resistant and water-resistant, so it is easy to burn and rot. Moreover, it’s also less durable.
- Bamboo gets dirty easily because of dust. You need to wipe bamboo furniture at least once a week.
Those are some points to consider about rattan vs bamboo.
Along with the increasing trend of environmentally friendly housing, people increasingly have an interest in rattan and bamboo furniture. This is because rattan and bamboo are able to create a very strong natural impression, like wooden furniture.
Both rattan and bamboo have their own strengths and weaknesses. Both of them give natural impressions with an artistic look. However, rattan and bamboo also need extra treatment especially while dealing with rodents and changes in weather (if placed outside).
So, which one is better for you? Rattan vs bamboo.